Thread: BPA and Payware PC - card reader incompatible?

BPA and Payware PC - card reader incompatible?

I am the tech guy for a two POS station BPA installation that is working nicely with just one issue: Payware PC/BPA combo doesn't like the card reader on the 2nd machine.

1st machine has BPA installed at C:\bpa, 2nd machine has this filesystem shared over the network. BPA operates just fine. Owners installed Payware PC on the main machine and used the integration tool to get it working with BPA. No problems at all with this system.

Remote machine, when a card is swiped as payment during a BPA session, reports the error message "Error processing card. Card information could not be read. Please try again or try manually entering card information." When the credit card data is entered manually, the charge goes through just fine and the ticket can be closed out normally.

Looking at machine number 2, it is a Sam4s all-in-one POS terminal with an attached dual-track MRC. As an experiment, I can start up "notepad" and scan a credit card. I see all the data and delimiters just as expected.

Since the credit card info can be entered and processed manually, the back end of this system is fine. And, BPA was ok with this read when we used Xcharge a few months ago.

How can I debug/resolve this issue? Why is BPA not liking my card reader?

thanks!!!

Make sure the card swipe is set to do a carriage return after all tracks are sent. Basically, in notepad, you should have all of the card information on one line.

Post back if this helps or if you continue to have problems.
    Business Software Solutions, Inc.
    (801) 336-3303

Thanks for the tip, Tyson. Testing with notepad showed multiple lines vs one single line. Since the card reader is a keyboard wedge, I now see this is likely why I'm having problems. I'll look for a utility to change the device to keyboard emulation mode.

Well, I can't figure out the model of card reader that is embedded in my Sams 4s pos system so I can't get a utility to talk to it and change settings. Plan B is to buy a MagTek USB connected reader instead so I can program it. If I do this, how do I get BPA to accept credit card input from a USB device instead of a keyboard wedge device? Is there a tried and true model of reader that I should consider?

GrapeDog,

If you get a Magtek USB swipe that emulates keyboard wedge it should work right away. If not you will have the ability to change the devices settings with their configuration tool so that the swipe is formatted correctly.

Also Magtek USB HID card swipes should work as well. You just have to go into Misc. Definitions -> Printers & Devices and change the "Enable USB HID Card Scanner" option from "USB Keyboard" to be "USB HID".
    Joe

BSS Tech Support Manager / Software Engineer

Thanks for the info, Joe. I was able to solve this problem using the integrated mag swipe reader. I found a users manual deep on the Sam4s (Korea) website and discovered a utility to change the settings of the reader. The key setting was a box that says to send a carriage return after track 1, 2, 3 or 4. It was set to Track 1 and 2. I unchecked Track 1 so that the scan would return track 1 and Track 2 before sending one carriage return. Now BPA and Payware PC are happy as can run a credit card charge..... only 27 minutes after dinner service has begun. Whew!