Thread: Windows Server V.S. Win. XP PRO Usage

Aaron Guest

Question Windows Server V.S. Win. XP PRO Usage

Hello, I am to understand that to use the E-Commerce, I must host my own website in order for it to integrate with my Backroom machine, and POS terminals. Is anyone doing this? What a large expense and liability to occur. Is there anyway to use the integration features, but have my data hosted by a company that specializes in doing so? If I must host my own, does my server really need to boot Win XP as the product literature states must be installed? I can't imagine trying to get an XP box to work as a web server. Will the POS software run correctly if the server boots Windows Server 2003? Perhaps I am wrong and it is easy to get an XP machine to work properly as a web server. Any information someone can give would be greatly appreciated.

EnvisionDesign Guest

E-Commerce on Hosted Site?

Has anybody answered this question yet? I'm having the same question. I found the instructions for the basic software to be fairly comprehensive, but the E-Commerce has very vague instructions.

So, will BPA E-Commerce Server run on a 3rd party host? If so, how is it loaded?

The instructions seem to assume that we will actually host our own server. I know some computer experts who don't even do that.

It also says that "you will be hosting your website on a computer that is attached to both the Internet and your network". Is it then possible to connect my network to my remote web host?

It would be helpful to include some diagrams relating to the structure and integration of the software and servers and clients.

It would also be helpful to have clearer explaination of such things as the function of the various "Paths" and "Web Site" variables.

Question: Can I run a webserver on Windows XP.

Answer: Yes and No

Yes, you can run IIS or PWS on Windows XP PRO.

No, you can't run IIS or PWS on Windows XP HOME.

Question: Will the POS software run correctly if the server runs Windows Server 2003?

Answer: Yes

Question: So, will BPA E-Commerce Server run on a 3rd party host?

Answer: Yes and No.

Yes, you can have someone host the main part of your website off location.

No, the shopping cart and Ecommerce server need to be installed and hosted at the same location as your main install of Business Plus Accounting because it accesses the database files directly real time, no batch mode processing.
    Joe

BSS Tech Support Manager / Software Engineer