Thread: Gift Card Delete

Iggy Guest

Gift Card Delete

Customer called to let us know he lost his gift card, provided us with the date and the name it was used to purchase the gift card.
    I was able to look it up and it has not been used, issued a customer another card on the same amount, but how do i delete the card out of the system that he lost?
    Remember i only have the number for the gift card and already tried to enter that number in check out screen but it tells me its not a valid card.
    The number is still active in reports meaning it has not been used yet.
    Thank you.

You need to swipe that card into the screen. The gift card encoding is different from the number. You can issue another card but you may need to call in to BSS tech support to see if they can remove that card record for you.

The only thing really affected is your liability account in the general ledger.
    Business Software Solutions, Inc.
    (801) 336-3303

jazzplayermark Guest

Same gift card issues

So when I bought the gift cards I was worried about how to handle damaged cards. The person I talked to in sales told me that as long as I have the number, I can enter it and use the card value. that obviously was wrong....

So I can issue another card ok, but how do I enter a payment for it. I can't close the table without a payment. do I have to setup a fake account and charge it to the account?

You can key in the card number. You would need the value that is loaded on the gift card - not the number that is in the gift card history report.

Damaged meaning that the card is no longer encoded? If you lost the encoding then you can't recover that card because there is no real way to pull anything off the mag-strip.

If you are taking your customers word and wanting to re-issue a card based on the gift card history report or whatever, you can comp out the card and close the sale out for $0.00. Like I mentioned before, this will affect your gift card liability account.
    Last edited by Tyson; 03-25-2011 at 07:58 AM.
    (801) 336-3303

Another option would be that you can call BSS and their techs can reference the number on the gift card history report and pull the original unencrypted value so you can type it in.
    (801) 336-3303